Mary



 Mary and Ginger. Photo by Ralph Blakely, III

I don’t remember exactly when and why Lynn introduced me to her cousin Mary. I think it had something to do with Mary being diagnosed with RA and Lynn thinking that we’d hit it off. So we emailed and then we called each other and yes, indeed. We hit it off.

One of our biggest regrets was that Mary lived in Charleston and I in Toronto. We had plans that someday, we would get together and laugh our butts off while eating good food. We did a lot of that — the laughing. Mary was funny. Ridiculously funny and smart and that’s the best combination there is.

Despite having lived many years in Ireland and then Charleston, Mary’s voice was quintessential New York. Raspy, straight out of the city accent, and she swore like a sailor. Always appropriately and in context, which made everything so much more funny.

She was one of the first women to be diagnosed as HIV-positive in the late 1980s and was one of its longest survivors. She had been desperately sick many times, coming close to death so often that it no longer frightened her. In fact, after a serious illness a few years ago, she told me she would have preferred dying. She was tired of fighting, but somehow, she kept doing it. She was incredibly stubborn through and through, and that kept her going.

Mary did advocacy for safe sex education for 10 years, speaking to youth about the importance of being careful. She stopped when she felt she was too old to connect to them anymore, but still did occasional work in the field. Several years ago, she was part of a calendar for HIV and AIDS awareness in which everyone who participated posed nude. She did it wrapped in an Irish flag and on the back of a white horse. I have one of those calendars and I treasure it.

Mary loved costume dramas and politics and animals. We had many vigourous conversations about Downton Abbey, politics (she was a liberal living in a Republican city — as you might imagine, this created a great deal of opinions), and our love for our animals. When I first met Mary, she had two cats (Bubba and Paddy) and her canine soulmate Fuzzy, a wonderful border collie. The two of them were so close I’m pretty sure they communicated mentally with each other. But she was also a great comfort to Mary who told me that she had many times used Fuzzy’s ruff as a Kleenex while the dog sat quietly and let her cry.

Fuzzy preceded her to heaven several years ago and that was a tough time. Later, she found Ginger, another wonderful dog that has now found a good home with one of her friends. Her love of animals wasn’t just focus on her own pets, but also on horses. She loved them and for a long time, she volunteered to exercise horses in a therapeutic riding program.

I never met Mary’s family, but her mother and I sent each other messages through Mary, and I often felt part of the wonderful relationship the two of them had with each other. Mary’s mom died before her, and her father several years before that. Somehow, Mary made it sound like they was still very much part of her life.

I once interviewed Mary for HealthCentral on her life with HIV and RA. She told me about how living with HIV for so long had taught her to focus on joy. She said “I choose joy. The alternative is self-indulgent misery." Classic Mary.

We hadn’t talked for quite a while, but she had been in my mind more than normal in the last few weeks. Saturday was her birthday and when I went to Facebook to leave a quick message with congratulations and letting her know I’d be calling today, I found out that she had died at the end of June. And then I knew why she had been so much in my mind.

I will miss you terribly, my lovely, funny friend. But I know that you are at peace and happy laughing with your parents, Fuzzy, Bubba the cat, and the friends who went before you. And I’m pretty sure that sometime down the road, we’ll meet again and continue talking about costume dramas, politics, and how much we love our animals. And we`ll laugh. There will be lots of that.
  

Comments

Peg Hannon said…
Mary was my sorority sister and my friend since 1978. Your words capture the essence of who she was. Unfortunately her illness kept her a very private person and we Lost contact on and off over the years. I too, meant to get down to Charleston to spend time with her, but as it goes "life kept getting in the way". I last saw her 8 years ago at my wedding in Buffalo and that was when things were becoming difficult for her. I know she struggled these last few years and that these struggles must have been so hard for her. She was a spunky, tell it like it is kind of gal and had so much drive and ambition over the years. At the same time she cared so deeply for people, animals and things around her. She loved life, no matter what it dealt her. Those of us that knew her are at such a loss knowing that she is gone. Our hearts are broken....thank you for putting into words what many of us knew and felt about our good friend and sister Mary. My only solace is knowing she is free from the pain and struggles that have held her spirit down for so many years and that she is soaring high with the Angels ( cruising ans smoking all the way!!!).
caryl said…
That is a well written, beautiful tribute to a special person. Thanks so much for that.
LynnM said…
Mary gave me one of her darling Fuzzy's pups, a gift that enriched my life so much and connected me to so many wonderful people.
I'm lost for words. So glad you're not. Thank you for that tribute, Lene.
AlisonH said…
I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. What a beautiful gift you've given her family in writing this.
Rick Phillips said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rick Phillips said…
Lene, I am so sorry for the loss of a dear friend. Your description made me wish I had the privilege of knowing her
Anonymous said…
I am so sorry for your loss. Virtual friends are very real and so is the loss. She sounds like an amazing person who touched a lot of people.

Popular posts from this blog

Weight Gain and Biologics: The Battle of the Pudge

Real RA: It's Not Just About the Jar

Farber’s Disease: Could Your Child’s Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis Be Misdiagnosed?