In Which I Ask Santa for Help with Facebook and Instagram Blocks




Dear Santa,

I’m writing to you in the hope that you can help me.

For the last six months, I have wanted nothing more than for the mistake that has led to Facebook designating my website as spam to be solved and for my site to be cleared. 

After emailing Facebook many times, my Blogger site (this one) was finally cleared in November. As I’m sure you can imagine, this made me very happy, because I can now share my writing on Facebook again. I’m really grateful and thoroughly enjoy being able to have invigorating and supportive discussions with the over 900 people who follow me on Facebook. I know you have an audience of billions, so 900 people might not seem like a lot to you, but I love every one of them.

The reason I’m writing to you is that the problem is not fully solved. You see, when my Blogger site was blocked, so was my custom domain The Seated View DOT com. It points to my Blogger site, so it’s not spam either. After blogging here for close to 13 years, I need to stretch and do more things, so I’m thinking of moving my website to that custom domain. I worry about what will happen, as the custom domain is still blocked on Facebook.

But Santa, it gets worse. You see, once my site and custom domain were blocked on a Facebook, they also got blocked on my Instagram account. I have been blocked so severely there that I am unable to write text in my own posts and even worse, unable to Like posts published by others or leave comments. 

Essentially, this debacle has silenced me and I am becoming increasingly invisible.

I really like talking to my friends and to support them whenever possible, but if I can’t talk to them and they can’t find me, this form of social media isn’t very social, yknow?

Like you, I get letters. Not as many as you — I don’t have elves to help me answer the letters, so that’s probably a good thing. Not too long ago, one of my lovely readers sent me a note with a profuse apology. You see, she had mistakenly reporting my website as spam or abusive to Facebook. I hope this won’t lead to her being placed on the Naughty List, Santa. Mistakes happen. I’m frustrated about the result, but don’t blame her for accidentally reporting me.

I do think it’s quite astonishing that this entire nightmare was caused by just one report, but that’s beside the point of this letter.

As you can imagine, the past six months of being completely and now partially blocked has been very difficult. I’ve worked very hard for almost 13 years to be part of the online RA and chronic illness communities.

And there’s another thing, Santa. All my life, I dreamed of becoming an author and now am actually living that dream. I have written several books that people tell me are very helpful. If they can’t find me, the books can’t help them. And, let’s be frank for a moment Santa, if my reputation is being tarnished by my website being designated as spam or malicious, it will be really difficult for me to build my business.

I’ve done my very best to solve the problem. I have emailed Facebook multiple times and even sent them a registered letter. As well, I report the issue on Instagram almost daily. More than that, many of my lovely friends on social media have also helped out, reporting that my website is not spam. Alas, to no avail and it’s been almost 6 months

All I want for Christmas is for this last part of the nightmare to be resolved. So that’s why I thought of  writing you.

Please, dear Santa, can you tell Facebook that I am on the Nice List and would never publish anything malicious? It would also be great if you could get fairly specific and ask them to clear my custom domain The Seated View DOT com. I’d love to be able to move forward in 2018 and focus on rebuilding my reputation and my business.

Thanks so much for your help, Santa. Spending much love to you, Mrs. Claus and the elves. A special hug to the reindeers, as well.


Love,
Lene

Note: I sent this to Facebook today. Fingers crossed!
  

Comments

Jocelyn said…
This is so not OK! I hope Santa heeds your pleas. Meanwhile, as someone who isn't very Facebook savvy, but who is willing - is there anything I can do?
Rick Phillips said…
Lena, this has been a terrible mistake on Facebooks's part. It makes me recognize how thin our life line to external and greater community. I hope Santa brings this wish sooner than later.

Popular posts from this blog

Weight Gain and Biologics: The Battle of the Pudge

Real RA: It's Not Just About the Jar

Farber’s Disease: Could Your Child’s Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis Be Misdiagnosed?